home

School Buildings for Sale

Aside from the fact that the school had to close in the first place, I love this story.

Speaking from the unique new home of his electronic business TAB Funkenwerks, [Oliver Archut] tells his story in a deep European accent: “On CNN I saw a documentary that the heartland of the United States is bleeding out. The schools are empty, the hospitals are empty. And they pretty much said that they were giving it away. That’s when I told my wife, find me a school.”

So with a few keystrokes, Oliver’s wife and business partner Gwen went to the place to people go when they’re looking to get a deal on something totally random.

“I just threw in school on e-Bay and there it was,” says perky Gwen from her office. “I was shocked. I had to speak with people three times before I actually believed the price they had said.”

The price for the 30-thousand square foot former school: 25 grand. Too good to pass up. So the Archuts packed up their shop in Seattle, headed east, and didn’t stop until they were in Gaylord, Kansas.

“There was no way you’re going to find a 30-thousand square foot anything in Seattle for 25 thousand dollars,” Gwen says. “That’s a minimum three million dollar investment.”

So they bought the school and relocated their business from Seattle, Washington (Population 600,000) to Gaylord, Kansas (Population 145). They say that they have everything that they need in Gaylord: high speed internet, UPS service, potential employees, and a very low cost of doing business.

Gwen and Oliver aren’t the only ones buying old rural schools for new business ventures. There’s others too.

And now for the best part. Have a business idea? You too can buy an old rural school on ebay. There is about half a dozen for sale right now. Gaylord, Kansas set a trend though because schools are bringing more than $25,000 these days.

71 Responses to “School Buildings for Sale”

1. Eric
    May 29th, 2006 21:37

Imagine the great irony that would be if a school closed, and a subsequent purchase of the school by a business resulted in an increase in the number of school aged children in a rural district.

2. GWEN
    March 25th, 2007 21:33

WHERE ARE OTHER RURAL SCHOOL BUILDINGS?

3. Ron
    August 18th, 2007 20:41

The City of Shelby Iowa has a 3 story 42,000 sq. ft. school building for sale.

check out their web site for more details.

4. Tami Gaden
    August 21st, 2007 20:31

5. Tami Gaden
    August 21st, 2007 20:32

My family has an old school building 32,000 sf for sale in rural southwest Oklahoma. Email me if intersted (tgaden@stillwaterpm.com)

6. Carman S. Tighe
    September 10th, 2007 02:29

Dear Tami Gaden: Hello!!! Would you please email about your family’s school building For Sale/ please describe, location, condition, size or acres of property, proximity to large towns, population, terms, purchase price, ect. I look forward to your reply. Thanks. Sincerely, Carman S. Tighe Isaiah 54:17 PS. And if possible/ would you Email me several Photos.

7. Carman S. Tighe
    September 10th, 2007 03:18

Dear Tami Gaden: Hello!!! Would you please email me about your family’s school building/ For Sale/ please describe, location, condition, size or acres of property, proximity to large towns, population, terms, purchase price, ect. I look forward to your reply. Thanks. Sincerely, Carman S. Tighe Isaiah 54:17 PS. And if possible/ would you Email me several Photos.

8. Tami Gaden
    September 11th, 2007 17:08

Ms. Tighe
    Hello - Thanks so much for your post. Would you please email me at tgaden@stillwaterpm.com. I cannot seem to send you email through the website, I think my filters are too strong. :). I would be glad to visit with you about the property, as well as share information and photographs. Thanks so much.

9. Sharon Walker
    September 13th, 2007 11:27

I would love to find a school for my family so if anyone has one available please send me information about it. Including location, size, price, condition and pictures if available.
    Send to sharon@walkersquawker.net Thanks

10. Susan Hagen
    October 13th, 2007 10:52

I would love to find an old school for sale in the Midwest. Preferably WI, MN, or IN. I saw a really nice school building in a recent trip to Indiana. It had several broken windows, but I loved the brick and detailing. If anyone knows of any, please send me a note at etfbs@yahoo.com. THANKS!

11. Debbie
    October 26th, 2007 16:33

I am interested in finding an old school building somewhere in the north/south west…So if anyone has or knows of one please e-mail me at seybolddebbie@hotmail.com
    Thank-you..

12. Debbie
    October 26th, 2007 16:35

I have always wanted to buy an old school house, and I am very interested in finding an old school building somewhere in the north/south west…So if anyone has or knows of one please e-mail me at seybolddebbie@hotmail.com
    Thank-you..

13. Doreen
    November 9th, 2007 21:05

There is a 19,000 square foot, 3 story plus the basement gymnasium in central Iowa for sale in a small town near Des Moines. It sits on 6 acres, in a town with a population of around 14 people. It is listed at www.IowaRealty.com under acreages.

14. Sandra
    November 19th, 2007 16:50

Hello all. I just read this blog and emailed a couple of you the information. I have an old schoolhouse for sale, its 22,000 sq. ft and sits on 1.2 acres, it is very close to downtown Indianapolis and IUPUI. This is a great development project for someone who loves history and architecture and is looking for a building.

You can email me at sjarvis@urbanspaceusa.com or call me at 317.423.1111 x 3. There is also information on this website http://listing.loopnet.com/14827916

THANK YOU!

15. Sandra
    November 19th, 2007 18:58

I am not sure if my earlier post will publish so here it is again. I have a schoolhouse for sale in Indianapolis, IN. Its an amazing larger school, built in 1922. 22,000 sq. ft on 1.2 acres, great for a condo or office conversion. Student housing or mixed use.

Please contact me for additional information. 317.423.1111 x 3 or sjarvis@urbanspaceusa.com

16. Sandra
    November 20th, 2007 15:07

Below is a link to the listing website, it has photos, etc.

17. Alan
    December 28th, 2007 15:14

Want a Canadian K-12 school for sale (mostly)in a tiny (10-500)community? The schools range from small to large… 8000-30,000 sqft We just bot one 21,000sqft on 14.3 acres… but heating cost alone is $1/sqft/yr. 2-5 more schools will be available this month coming and I think I know where they will be listed but if you write I can tell you when they are listed. manager @pacificway.org

18. LaraLee
    January 2nd, 2008 09:10

We are looking for an old school house in TN. Thanks. lauraleigh55@hotmail.com

19. Mark
    January 4th, 2008 12:11

My wife would like to sell her 17,000 sq ft school in Rapid City, South Dakota. Original building was built in 1912, with an addition in the 1920’s and another addition in the 1930’s. The exterior is all brick with large windows. 2/3 of the floors are maple. call 605 394 0011 for details.

20. Anonymous
    January 6th, 2008 00:44

We have been looking for a former school building for sale. Should be in good phsical condition and include gymnasium. Prefer small town property with close proximity to larger town or city. Have cash. Serious properties only. Please respond to aj_1926@yahoo.com. Pictures and contact information preferred.

21. Elite Tumbler
    January 15th, 2008 21:21

Elite tumbling and trampolist is looking for a school or building for sale or lease that has a large space and high ceiling in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa area. Minimum size 150 by 50 ft. Please contact dnara58342aol.com. Thanks

22. Elite Tumbler
    January 15th, 2008 21:36

Elite tumbling and trampolist is looking for a school or building for sale or lease that has a large space and high ceiling in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa area. Minimum size 150 by 50 ft. Please contact dnara5834@aol.com. Thanks

23. Small School
    January 16th, 2008 11:10

There is a 11,500 squre foot school building for sale in southeastern Ohio near a small town called Hackney. The building sits on about 5 acres and is in good condition. It has a gymnasium, cafeteria, three classrooms, offices, and a library. It is going to be sold at a public auction on January 26, 2008. It was part of the Fort Frye School District in Beverly, Ohio. You can Google the school name and get a number to call for questions concerning the sale. The school was closed because of the low number of students attending, not because the building was in bad shape.

24. judy
    January 23rd, 2008 16:11

my sister and i are thinking of buying an old school to live in and build our business in any tips!

25. bob perry
    January 24th, 2008 21:24

I have a Nice school house for sale 1200sf. all brick it is located in curryville missouri on hwy 54 which is 70 north of saint louis call bob 317-694-2187

26. Jill Martin
    February 10th, 2008 23:08

Hi my family is looking for a school in Kansas. If anyboday knows of a possibility please let me know. My email is bjl.martin@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Jill

27. Mike
    March 8th, 2008 08:32

I am looking for School property for sale/lease in Wisconsin.Working condition.

28. Mike
    March 8th, 2008 08:36

I am looking for School Building for sale/lease
    in Wisconsin. My e-mail is nyc888@aol.com
    Thanks.
    Mike

29. Brian
    May 2nd, 2008 12:32

I have a 47000 SF school builing on 14.5 acres for sale or lease in Western Ky. All offers considered. Nice rural area just 60 minutes north of Nashville. No restrictions & low taxes. If interested, please call me at 813-965-2157. e-mail: pmawc@tampabay.rr.com

Brian

30. mike
    May 29th, 2008 21:24

I have an old (1845) brick school building, at one time the largest college in Ohio. It is located in Hayesville, Ohio about 10 miles south of Ashland, 60 miles south of Cleveland near I71. See a PICTURE at “Vermillion Institute - Irishgeneology” site. Inside much of the floors and beams would need replacing as for years the building had roof problems not fixed by a prior owner. Would be sold “as is” No bathrooms, no running water….relatively untouched by progress. On the national historic register… would qualify for tax credits. Mike @ Michaelalcox@yahoo.com

31. kent
    June 10th, 2008 23:55

Anyone know of a school for sale in northern california anywhere let me know. email to kennyg4626@aol.com

32. Christina
    June 25th, 2008 11:56

I am interested in finding an old school house, fire house, or library to buy in Oklahoma. Please email me if you have any information christina-eichstedt@hotmail.com

33. Stream of God Ministries
    July 15th, 2008 22:17

We are looking for a campus for our Bible School and an old school building would be perfect. If you have one please let us know.

34. Stream of God Ministries
    July 15th, 2008 22:29

Our web site is streamofgod.com & our e-mail address is info@streamofgod.com

35. Stream of God Ministries
    July 15th, 2008 22:40

Our contact info is www.streamofgod.com & e-mail at ralphcotterill@gmail.com

36. sarah
    September 4th, 2008 17:47

Looking for an old one room school house in Iowa. Summers@netins.net.

37. Derek
    September 25th, 2008 16:04

We are looking for a school in Tennessee for sale and will consider anything …call Derek 615-567-6708

38. Anonymous
    November 27th, 2008 22:59

Looking for old school in Northern Alabama to convert to a residence. Email me at Ladyluv2003_1@yahoo.com

39. Pam
    November 27th, 2008 23:01

40. Brian
    December 19th, 2008 19:52

41. Steve
    January 25th, 2009 17:08

Looking for retired school building in north west missouri. email at: stevefinkey@hotmail.com

42. jonathan
    January 31st, 2009 07:52

Hello all…. we are looking for a school in east tn or western nc. thanks so much for any help……

peace jonathan

43. Herbie
    April 15th, 2009 23:21

Hi All,

I have a school building for sale in Kansas, near the Joplin, Mo airport. It has a very nice 50ftx80ft gymnasium in very good shape. The classroom space is about 13,000 square feet. The lot is 7 acres, with about 850 feet of paved road frontage. You could turn this into a business. Please email me at admin@nwamarket.com or call me at 479-215-9366. We are asking $125,000 or best offer. The gym alone is worth more than that. I have pictures.

44. Charlotte Moore
    April 16th, 2009 12:11

I’d really like to find an old school house in WI. If anyone knows of any please email me. Thanks Cinaminst6@aol.com

45. Bev Pasternak
    April 19th, 2009 08:06

I’m looking for a church or school for sale in NC, VA, WV, PA or OH. Prefer with land of 5 acres or more. bevpasternak@gmail.com

46. Best Search Engine
    July 16th, 2009 12:00

Great post. Good quality reading. I’ll drop by later:-)

47. Sharon Crane
    July 18th, 2009 13:30

Hello Everyone! I am looking for an old school house or an old church to buy in Colorado. North Denver Metro area would be best but will consider anywhere in Colorado.
    Thanks in advance for you help!

48. Rusty
    July 23rd, 2009 15:38

If anyone is still intereted in an old school building I have one for sale in Kincaid KS. In good shape planned to make a boys home out of it but plans fell through please email if any questions
    proudheeler@netscape.net

49. Eric
    August 3rd, 2009 10:41

I have a school for sale in Stella Nebraska, 49,868 sq. ft. on one level and 5,600 on a lower, great shape, had classes till May of ‘09 built in 1969. If interested go to web site, www.mid-continentproperties.com or call 402-334-0256 ask for Eric. Thanks. Make an offer.

50. Demetri
    November 30th, 2009 22:23

Hey everyone! I am looking for a school building in Ohio. Preferably with a gymnasium. Please e-mail: clarinetdude2011@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help!

51. Kim
    March 21st, 2010 21:15

Hello, I would love to buy a school (to be conversted/added on for a bed and breakfast) in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky or Western North Carolina area. Ideally, with over 5 acres of land. Do you know of any available?
    Thanks for your help,
    Kim

52. mike
    March 21st, 2010 21:45

still have the 1845 3 story brick school building for sale in hayesville, ohio. near Mansfield. on national register. floor, window and beam damage, but walls and metal roof ok. Untouched by improvements. no electricity, water, or bathrooms.. See Vermillion institute hayesville ohio on internet for old picture.

53. Anonymous
    April 4th, 2010 23:24

Good Morning. I am looking for an inexpensive school in the NE to upper SE. If you have a need to unload yours, you have someone who would like to own it. Sorry, limited budjet.

54. Diane Louise
    June 10th, 2010 14:46

Looking for old church or school (with character) in midwest to make into a home for my husband and I and our grandchildren - Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee.

55. Teri
    June 24th, 2010 01:18

We own a 40,000 square foot former school in a very small town in South Dakota that we are thinking about selling. If anyone is interested, please email us at TeriCrosby@gmail.com. Thanks.

56. Ralph Cotterill
    July 18th, 2010 20:02

Seeking an old school building for sale that would be used as a Bible College 770-354-3774 ralphcotterill@gmail.com

57. Anonymous
    August 28th, 2010 14:32

Looking for a former school building for sale. Should be in good phsical condition, no major structural damage or repairs needed and include cafeteria area and gymnasium. Must be asbestos free and able to pass asbestos testing. Prefer small town property with close proximity to larger town or city. Serious properties only. Please respond to ajd1926@yahoo.com. Pictures and contact information preferred

58. Steven
    September 10th, 2010 04:35

Need to find former school with gymnasium, cafeteria surrounded by farmland that we can put our livestock. This is for family/ We adopted 17 children and really needed the space for them.

59. Julie
    October 21st, 2010 20:36

For Sale: Old school building in small town outside of Carroll, Iowa. 5,976 square feet of living space plus over 2,000 square feet of garage and shop area. All new plumbing and electrical in finished areas. New rubber roof in 2007, new kitchen in 2006 with stainless steel appliances. New heat pump/CA with back up forced air, and water heater in 2009. All but 4 windows replaced, and the remaining 4 are purchased and will be left onsite. Original woodwork will be left onsite for use also. 2 drive ways on property. Finished areas are well insulated. Many possibilities: Home, apartments, business, offices, or combination of uses.
    Price: $120,00 (only $21.00/square foot of living space). Contract available. Serious inquiries only please. E-mail for more information or pictures. More pictures available at http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc436/cjunderhill/?albumview=slideshow

60. Julie
    October 23rd, 2010 11:24

For Sale: Handyman’s dream. Old school building in small town outside of Carroll, Iowa. 5,976 square feet of living space plus over 2,000 square feet of garage and shop area. All new plumbing and electrical in finished areas. New rubber roof in 2007, new kitchen in 2006 with stainless steel appliances. New heat pump/CA with back up forced air, and water heater in 2009. All but 4 windows replaced, and the remaining 4 are purchased and will be left onsite. Original woodwork will be left onsite for use also. 2 drive ways on property. Finished areas are well insulated. Many possibilities: Home, apartments, business, offices, or combination of uses.Contract available.
    E-mailcontact: collin_underhill@yahoo.com

61. Lorraine
    October 26th, 2010 12:47

Any large schoolhouses available? Send info please.

62. Bliss
    November 30th, 2010 12:36

Hi, The last two posters did not leave a way to contact them. Our old H.S Circa 1937, 18″ brick walls, including gym, cafeteria, auditorium is for sale. Please contact Bliss for more information.

63. Bliss
    November 30th, 2010 12:38

the prior post did not pick up my email with it’s text.. thanks .. re: 19,00 sq foot H.S.

64. Bliss
    November 30th, 2010 12:40

Let’s try a last time mister underscore bliss at msn dot com for inquiries

65. mister_bliss@msn.com
    November 30th, 2010 12:42

regarding the last two posts. thanks
    mister underscore bliss at msn dot com

66. network camera
    December 22nd, 2010 04:36

the information on this submit is really a single of the very best substance that I’ve actually appear throughout. I adore your submit, I will appear back again to examine for new posts.

67. Summer
    February 24th, 2011 02:31

I am looking for a small scaled school or church that is empty and can be turned into a small retirement home. I wish I was a millionaire I would build a huge place for seniors to go and they wouldnt have to pay thousands of dollars to stay there. I started a small business to help seniors the best I can. So please I am looking for a small school or church with some land in Northern Kentucky.

68. Michelle
    February 27th, 2011 16:17

Looking for a school house, library or firehouse in Kansas. Please contact me at swbus@aol.com

69. Deborah Pare
    March 18th, 2011 14:54

looking for an empty school bldg in WI or MN for $20,000 or less-run-down eature ok! Deb
    E0mail debcerna_IFS@yahoo.com with pictures please!

70. TN airports
    March 24th, 2011 14:37

There isn’t a replacement appropriate analysis about your getaway location .

71. Cheryl
    May 19th, 2011 15:09

Looking for an old schoolhouse, fire station in reasonably good shape in NE, CO, AZ If you know of one please let me know. Thanks